Sunday 7 October 2012

Lo Mai Fan 糯米饭 (savoury glutinous rice, my way)


Lo mai fan is one of my fave one-pot dishes. Although my blog is called bike-n-bake, I can't help sneaking in my other kitchen creations. I should rename it cook-eat-ride.
I had black glutinous rice in my cupboards, and wasn't keen on using it to make Thai black glutinous rice pudding. I wondered whether I could use it in Chinese lo mai fan, which is traditionally made with white glutinous rice.

This recipe is not traditional, but it's my version with everything yummy that I would like to eat in it! I dare say it's one of the fastest ways to make lo mai fan. My cooking time was only 30 min. With a pressure cooker and an induction stove I was able to get stuck into it sooner. Yum :)

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups black glutinous rice, rinsed
  • 0.5 cup black eyed beans, rinsed
  • 1.5 cups white basmati rice, rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and chopped
  • 20-30 dried shrimp, chopped then soaked before cooking
  • 3 lup cheong (Chinese pork sausage), sliced
  • ~100g lup yook (Chinese dried pork), sliced
  • ~300g sliced lean pork medallion, seasoned in soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, Chinese rice wine
  • ~10 fresh shitake mushrooms (these are a product of Australia. Your local greengrocer should have these, if not try an Asian grocer)
  • handful of dried shitake mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped
  • pre-cooked pork shoulder in soy sauce and garlic (I happened to have this in my freezer from an earlier meal. You can just add more meat of your choice instead)
  • white pepper and caramel dark soy sauce to taste

Getting prepped
Rinse black glutinous rice and black eyed beans. Soak in water to allow to soften before cooking. I think 4 hours is fine, but I ended up soaking them for 7 hours (got distracted doing other things).

If using dried shitake mushrooms, also soak these in some water. When rehydrated, roughly dice They need a minimum of 2 hours to rehydrate if whole, or 30 min if pre-sliced. Mine were pre-sliced, which is convenient, but they aren't as tasty as whole ones.
Chop dried shrimp and soak in some water (30 min - 1 hr).

If you go over these times, don't worry. It doesn't make a difference. The aim is just to get these dry ingredients rehydrated a little.


Time to cook!
1. Heat pressure cooker on induction stove in stir-fry mode. I didn't use any oil to start with as the lup cheong and lup yook are full of fatty goodness. Add these and garlic to the pot as it starts to get hot. They will sizzle as it gets hotter. Stir fry.
2. Add chopped shrimp and continue stir frying.
3. Add sliced pork and continue stir frying.
4. Add rice and beans. Stir to pick up fried ingredients from bottom of pot.

5. Add mushrooms and cooked pork, dark soy sauce and white pepper to taste. Cook for a few minutes on medium-high heat.
6. Secure pressure cooker lid to seal it. Cook for 20-30 min under pressure (once you get some slow steam releasing, turn the heat down to keep it at the low "hiss").  Wait for the pressure to drop before opening the lid and dishing up. This is what mine looked like:


 
7. Serve with chopped spring onions and optional crunchy deep-fried Malaysian onions (bawang goreng).

No comments:

Post a Comment